Diesel fuel prices continue to drop
January 14, 2019
•Land Line Staff
ProMiles reports national average retail price for diesel fuel on Monday, Jan. 14, dropping 3.6 cents from last Monday.
ProMiles, the software company that maintains the websites ProMiles.com and TruckMiles.com, offers its own weekly fuel price information. The company’s fuel price data are presented in the same format used by the federal Energy Information Administration in the agency’s weekly reports. The prices include a national average as well as regional averages, and comparisons to the previous week and the previous year.
By late afternoon Monday, last week’s EIA data had not been updated.
A key difference between the EIA and ProMiles reporting is the type and number of fueling stations the company surveys in order to calculate its averages. While EIA surveys 400 truck stops and convenience stores nationwide, ProMiles uses its direct feed from thousands of truck stops to develop its averages.
Diesel fuel prices dropped in every region. However, in Rocky Mountain and West Coast states the lower rate is higher than prices from a year ago.
Diesel fuel prices are under the $3 benchmark in Lower Atlantic, Midwest, Gulf Coast and Rocky Mountain regions, according to ProMiles.
Following are the average prices by region as reported by the ProMiles.com:
- U.S. – $2.886, down 3.6 cents.
- East Coast – $3.011, down 2.9 cents.
- New England – $3.176, down 2.5 cents.
- Central Atlantic – $3.259, down 2.7 cents.
- Lower Atlantic – $2.878, down 2.9 cents.
- Midwest – $2.796, down 4.1 cents.
- Gulf Coast – $2.781, down 2.7 cents.
- Rocky Mountain – $2.996, down 4.6 cents.
- West Coast – $3.304, down 4.1 cents.
- West Coast less California – $3.092, down 5.2 cents.
- California – $3.635, down 3 cents.
AAA reports a national average price per gallon for diesel fuel at $2.933 for Monday, Jan. 14.
A week previous, the price was $2.959.
A month previous, AAA reported $3.088 per gallon of diesel fuel and a year ago $2.928 per gallon.
The highest recorded average price for diesel was $4.845 per gallon on July 17, 2008, according to AAA.