Voided exams affect more than 2,100 drivers

March 27, 2018

Mark Schremmer

|

More than 2,100 commercial motor vehicle drivers who received medical certificates from Dr. Kenneth G. Edwards in Phenix City, Ala., will have to retake their exams, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration confirmed on Tuesday, March 27.

Last week, the FMCSA announced that it planned to revoke all medical certificates issued by Edwards to drivers in the past two years. Edwards, a chiropractor, was arrested and indicted by a federal grand jury on charges related to falsifying the results of Department of Transportation physicals.

The FMCSA said 2,103 drivers will have 30 days from the time they are notified to retake their physicals exams.

“As of March 26, 95 percent of the impacted drivers have been sent notification letters,” the FMCSA said in an email. “The remaining 5 percent will be completed this week.”

The drivers are predominantly from Georgia, Alabama and Florida.

Edwards was arrested in February. He faces charges involving conspiracy, wire fraud, and conspiracy to commit wire fraud, making false statements and falsification of federal records. His employees Joann Bush and Andrea Daigle were also indicted. Edwards was removed from the national registry of CMEs on Dec. 5.

Drivers and carriers with questions regarding the voided exams are asked to contact FMCSA at FMCSAMedical@dot.gov or by calling 202-366-4001.

PrePass

Mark Schremmer, senior editor, joined Land Line in 2015. An award-winning journalist and former assistant news editor at The Topeka Capital-Journal, he brings fresh ideas, solid reporting skills, and more than two decades of journalism experience to our staff.