State legislatures are starting their annual sessions, and two states have introduced bills that would tighten left lane rules for trucks.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
The streak of diesel price drops is over. Cross-border travel between the U.S. and Canada is about to reach a pandemic turning point. And their slogan is to protect and serve, not to protect and serve unless there’s a Pokemon nearby.
II. Truckers help out in a crisis
The next time something goes bad, when people are in need and an area is disarray wait a couple days and take a look at the news. What you often see are stories of truckers helping out. Such was the case on I-95 outside Washington, D.C., last week. We’ll bring you the stories of two truckers who got caught in the traffic jam – and did some good while they waited for things to get moving again.
III. Left lane restrictions proposed
State legislatures across the country are starting their annual sessions. And already, two states have introduced bill that would make left lane rules stricter for trucks.
IV. GAO: Time to look at VMT
The Government Accountability Office is throwing some less than subtle hints at the U.S. DOT that the department should begin to take a serious look at funding highways through a mileage-based fee system.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Find out how to listen to Land Line Now on TNC Radio.
- Applications are being accepted for the OOIDA Mary Johnston Scholarship. Apply through the OOIDA website. The deadline is Feb. 1.
- Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the TA in Big Spring, Texas. That’s at Exit 177 off Interstate 20. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- If you’ve come across something unique or unusual out on the roads, email us at LandLineNow@ooida.com.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View the most recent notices on the Bulletin Board.
- Be sure to check out the Fighting for Truckers website. Remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- You can donate to the Truckers for Troops fund all year long.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- Are you involved in organizing a truck show? We want to make other truckers aware of your event. Email information about your event to us at LandLineNow@ooida.com. We’ll get it on the air and on our website.
- OOIDA is seeking the names and addresses of military personnel serving overseas so we can send them care packages through Truckers for Troops. Call that information in to Nikki Johnson at 816-229-5791, or e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Florida DOT is hosting a meeting on parking alternatives at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 26 at the Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens. Learn more online.
- Read more about the PACCAR recall: Paccar recalling trucks with methane detection issue.