Land Line Now, Oct. 16, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Truckers have questions about the recent hours of service changes, from sleeper berth to the 30-minute break and more. We’ll have answers.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The Federal Highway Administration is ready to talk truck parking; the U.S.-Canadian border could stay closed for a while longer; and tower, this is Flight 451, we’ve got a guy in a jet pack out here … It’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Hours of service answers
Truckers have questions about the recent changes to the hours of service, ranging from how to use the new sleeper berth rules, the 30-minute break and the short haul exemption. We’ll get some answers. Also, some warnings about quirks in how the rules may be enforced.
III. Truck parking and truck stop restaurants
Jon Osburn is seeing and hearing about the lack of decent truck parking in the Northeastern U.S. – but he’s also offering some news – good and bad – about truck stop restaurants.
IV. Truck parking gets some love at the federal level
The Federal Highway Administration will soon release the latest truck parking survey and seek information on new truck parking initiatives, while a bill to pay for more spaces continues to percolate in Congress. Also, we’ll have information about broker transparency and the new truck driver advisory group at FMCSA.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- A wildfire burning in north central Colorado has become the largest fire in the history of the state. Go to COtrip.org for the latest road closure information.
- OOIDA web conferencing Truck to Success course is scheduled for Oct. 26-28.
- Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the Petro in Waterloo, N.Y., located at Exit 41 off Interstate 90. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon Osburn is also giving away free protective masks.
- If you have questions about the recent changes to the hours of service, you can call Kerri Wirachowsky of the CVSA at 301-830-6153. You can also call OOIDA’s Business Services Department at 816-229-5791.
- OOIDA Foundation is also offering some online tools to help understand the hours of service. You can find them on the OOIDA Business Education YouTube page or OOIDA’s online education page.
- And if you need legal advice you can call CDL Legal at 913-738-4836, or visit their website.
- OOIDA has issued a Call to Action for improving broker transparency. Get all the details here.
- FMCSA driver panel application period closes Oct. 16. Drivers wanting to apply should email their applications to MCSACDriver@dot.gov.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.