Land Line Now, Feb. 18, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
FMCSA emergency orders to deal with the cold join extensions of pandemic-related waivers regarding CDL, medical card and hours of service.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Winter weather is still causing problems for most of the country. The FMCSA issues an emergency declaration for more than half the states. And why did the chicken cross the road? We may never know.
II. Fuel shortage prompts FMCSA emergency orders
Deep-freeze temperatures across much of the nation have prompted the FMCSA to issue a regional emergency declaration, while the agency also informs states about its latest policy on extensions of CDLs and medical cards.
III. Wyoming looks again to tolls
Wyoming lawmakers are once again looking to tolls as a way to finance improvements to Interstate 80 in that state, while both Mississippi and Pennsylvania consider whether to allow far wider use of speed radar by local police.
IV. More on emergency orders
We’ll go deeper into the FMCSA’s CDL, medical cards and emergency order extensions, and discuss the horrific chain crashes that have occurred during the record cold.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Truckers have been calling OOIDA about letters that appear to be from FMCSA regarding the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse. The letters are from a private company that is charging hundreds of dollars for a service FMCSA offers for free. If you have a question about this, call CMCI at 816-229-5791.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in San Antonio, Texas. That’s at Exit 583 off Interstate 10. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- You can read the FMCSA Regional Emergency Declaration here. And find out more about truck stop closures here.
- FMCSA has also extended the HOS Emergency Declaration.
- And find out more about Licensing/Medical Certification Waivers.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.