Land Line Now, Feb. 16, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Lawmakers in six states are working to end ticket quotas in their jurisdictions –along with the practice of funding government with fines.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Winter weather continues to wreak havoc. The FMCSA extends its COVID-19 declaration. And a tale of calls, cats and congressmen
II. Good signs for trucking economy
Net orders of Class 8 trucks are up. It’s the same story for trailers – and that’s a good sign for the trucking industry as we look at the economic picture early in 2021. We’ll explain why.
III. Tickets quotas targeted by lawmakers
Lawmakers in six states are working to end ticket quotas in their jurisdictions – and along with them, the practice of funding government through fines.
IV. Earmarks may make a comeback
Years ago, a reform effort in Congress eliminated what we commonly call “earmarks.” Now, after years of doing without them, some in Congress say they served a legitimate purpose – and they’re considering bringing them back.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The Texas DOT reported dozens of road closures earlier today, with hundreds more reportedly snow and ice covered. Get the latest information here.
- Louisiana has numerous roads closed, including U.S. 80 and I-49 north of Alexandria. Click here for the latest conditions.
- Mid-America Trucking Show has announced this year’s show – which was to have celebrated the show’s 50th anniversary – has been postponed until March of 2022. You can find more information on their website.
- The OOIDA Foundation is offering a series of free, online classes on getting your own authority. The first videos in the series can be found on YouTube or OOIDA’s online education page.
- Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the San Antonio Petro . That’s at Exit 581 off Interstate 10. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- Find out more about ACT Research.
- To read about state legislation, visit our Daily News By State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.