Land Line Now, May 6, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Produce season brings signs of life to the market, but freight rates are in a deep hole, so recovery will be slow. Also, urging help for owner-operators.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA urges Congress to force broker transparency; a new federal-developed app aims to help truckers during disasters; and car drivers continue to go for land speed records – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Taking truckers’ message nationwide
An OOIDA board member is speaking up for owner-operators, taking his message to national television, and urging the federal government to step up and give owner-operators more help. Also, another OOIDA member’s idea sparked a county-wide program helping truckers in South Carolina – and the wife of another driver is making a difference one meal at a time at a rest area in western Missouri.
III. Can freight rates be rescued by produce season?
Produce season is beginning to bring signs of life to the market, but rates are starting from a very deep hole, so recovery is likely to be a long road.
IV. Congress eyes targeting help to smallest businesses
As the pandemic crisis – and the economic damage it’s caused – continues, Congress is looking at tweaking programs designed to help small businesses, with special attention to the smallest companies.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The FMCSA has set up a dedicated web page for updates on when and where it is distributing masks to truck drivers.
- You can take the Tennessee truck parking survey here. The survey runs through Friday, May 15.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Beaumont, Texas. That’s at Exit 848 on Interstate 10. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Get more information about the freight market.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.