Land Line Now, Aug. 19, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
With Brake Safety Week coming up, we’ll discuss the top reason inspectors have for putting truckers out of service regarding brakes. Also, freight, rates and hurricanes.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Comments are open on OOIDA’s broker transparency rule request; I-70 is still closed in Colorado; and the cows come – to a beach in Ireland.
II. Brakes – tackling the top out-of-service violation
The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s annual Brake Safety Week is this coming week. We’ll offer some advice on how to avoid inspectors putting you out of service regarding brakes.
III. Freight, rates and hurricanes
Freight and rates are stronger than expected for this time of year, but so is the forecast for hurricane season, which could put a damper on things going forward.
IV. Technology and safety
Do certain technologies improve safety in trucking, or not? The FMCSA will consider that question before it starts program designed to reward carriers simply for installing it.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA offers an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- Comments are now open on OOIDA’s broker rule request. Comments are due by Oct. 19 and you can submit those here.
- If you’re headed to the Glenwood Canyon area in Colorado you can find the latest road closure information due to the Grizzly Creek Fire.
- OOIDA web conferencing Truck to Success course is scheduled for Oct. 26-28.
- Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the Petro in Clearwater, Minn., at Exit 178 off Interstate 94. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon has free face masks as well as pneumonia and shingles vaccine vouchers.
- If you want more information about Brake Safe you can visit their website or call 888-381-2355.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.