LLN (10/23/19) – Truck fatalities at their highest level in more than 30 years – leading to some obvious conclusions. A $40 million jury award involving a tragic accident put one company’s driver training practices on trial – and highlights the need for higher standards. While freight volumes showed a nice bump recent, capacity was high enough that rates did not rise. And what are the merits of using a fuel card?
0:00-10:10 – Newscast.
10:10-24:14 – A huge jury award and driver training.
24:14-38:43 – Higher freight volume, same rates; why use a fuel card?
38:43-48:22 – Truck fatalities up – what does that mean?
- The OOIDA Foundation has EPA grants to pay for 25% of the cost for an auxiliary power unit. Drivers need to have a model year 1996 through 2006 truck, and be based in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa or Nebraska. OOIDA membership is not required, but OOIDA members can get discounts on EPA-approved units.
- Go to the OOIDA Foundation website for details.
- The 2019 Truckers for Troops campaign starts Nov. 11. That week, you can join OOIDA for a discount. Ten percent of your membership will send care packages to troops overseas and help returning veterans, with OOIDA matching those donations.
- Read more here: Annual Truckers for Troops telethon begins Veterans Day.
A jury recently awarded $40 million in a case involving a tragic crash that put one company’s driver training practices on trial. Terry Scruton talks with attorney David Harris about the case and how it highlights the need for higher standards for entry level driver training.
- You can read more from Land Line Magazine: Werner $40 million judgment centers on entry-level driver training.
Freight volumes showed a nice bump recently, but capacity was high enough that rates did not rise. Mary McKenna talks with Peggy Dorf of DAT, a company that provides market information for owner-operators, carriers, brokers and shippers.
- Visit the DAT website.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website.
- You can call OOIDA Members Edge at 866-487-8253.
- You can also read Land Line Magazine’s DAT Solutions: More freight is moving, but rates lag.
While the national average of diesel dropped this week, it’s still not what you would call cheap. Mary McKenna will have this week’s report. She also discusses the merits of using a fuel card with Trevor Williams, coordinator for OOIDA’s fuel card program.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine: Diesel fuel retail price barely budges across the U.S.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android smartphones, click here.
Figures released this week show that truck fatalities are at their highest level in more than 30 years. So what conclusions can be drawn from that information? Mark Reddig talks with Collin Long and Bryce Mongeon of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine: Truck-involved fatalities up during first year of ELD mandate.