Land Line Now, Nov. 11, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Plenty of veterans end up becoming a truckers. Among them is Paul Chambers, an OOIDA member who received a Truckers for Troops care package.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
An audit of the FAST program exposes potential security threats. We’ve got at least a few more months before crude oil prices come back down to Earth. And the taxi service offering up a new kind of ride when a limo just won’t do.
II. Many ways to help veterans
It’s Veterans Day, and Day 4 of the 15th annual OOIDA Truckers for Troops campaign. When it comes to helping veterans, there are plenty of ways you can help out. We’ll hear from Vincent Morales and Brandonn Mixon of the Veterans Community Project.
III. What care packages mean to the troops
We’ll have a throwback to 2016, when our former News Anchor Reed Black talked with Brad Burkhart – an Army staff sergeant who served in Afghanistan, leading patrols to clear roads of improvised explosive devices. He’ll talk about how much those care packages mean to people in a war zone.
IV. From the Army to being a trucker
Plenty of veterans end up behind the wheel of a truck. And among them is Paul Chambers of Colorado, an OOIDA member who received a Truckers for Troops care package while serving overseas, who shares his experience with us.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- NOPD Fifth District detectives are seeking assistance with identifying and locating a suspect in the investigation of an aggravated assault on Nov. 9 at the intersection of Saint Claude Avenue and Port Street. Call 504-658-6050 or Crimestoppers of Greater New Orleans at 504-822-1111 with any information.
- The OOIDA Truckers for Troops campaign runs this week, until the start of business Monday, Nov. 15. You can join OOIDA or renew your membership for a discounted rate – 10% of that will go toward care packages for troops and to support the Veterans Community Project. OOIDA will match that money.
- Starting Friday, Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the Jim Wilcox TA in Albuquerque, N.M. That’s at Exit 159A off Interstate 40, Exit 225 off Interstate 25N and Exit 227 off Interstate 25S. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.