LLN (7/25/19) – A towing overcharge caused a company in Tennessee to be removed from the state highway patrol’s call list – and now it faces legal action. The FMCSA is asking truckers about changing or adding to its definition of agricultural commodities and taking action on autonomous vehicle and the under-21 pilot program. We’ll have information about upcoming truck shows. And what lawmakers are saying about insurance minimums and speed limiters.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:39 – Agricultural commodities, autonomous vehicles and under 21 drivers
24:39-39:35 – Tennessee towing company faces legal action
39:35-49:35 – Speed limiters; insurance minimums
- Terry Scruton reported that police in Longmont, Colo., pulled over a truck this week with a unique solution for a broken tail light. You can view a picture of the solution on their Facebook page.
- Registration is now open for the second edition of OOIDA’s live business course, Truck to Success. The class takes place Sept. 10-12 at the Courtyard by Marriott at Exit 21 off Interstate 70 in Blue Springs, Mo. The class is designed for truckers who are about to make the leap into becoming an owner-operator and for those who have been in the industry to cut costs and become more financially successful. For more information, go to the OOIDA Online Education website.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at Shell Rotella SuperRigs at the Trail’s Travel Center in Albert Lea, Minn., at Exit 11 off Interstates 35 and 90. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount.
- Read more: Find The Spirit and several OOIDA crew members at SuperRigs.
- See the full Spirit schedule.
The FMCSA is looking at expanding the definition of what qualifies as an agricultural commodity. Terry Scruton talks about that plus comments on autonomous vehicles and an extended comment period on under-21 drivers with OOIDA’s Director of Federal Affairs Jay Grimes.
- Read related coverage on all these topics from Land Line Magazine:
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- If you have questions you would like answered you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
A towing company in Tennessee lost a spot on the state highway patrol’s call list and now faces legal action over an extraordinarily high bill charged a trucker. Mark Reddig talks with OOIDA’s expert on towing problems, Mike Matousek.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, OOIDA to move forward in case against Tennessee towing company.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
OOIDA has a new team member in our nation’s capital, and he’s been talking with lawmakers about insurance minimums and speed limiters. Mark Reddig talks with Bryce Mongeon of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- Find out more from Land Line Magazine: Mongeon joins OOIDA as director of legislative affairs
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- 25-27 Shell Rotella SuperRigs at Trail’s Travel Center, off I-35 in Albert Lea, Minn. For more information, visit Rotella.com.
- 26-28 Top Gun Large Car Shoot Out at Rantoul National Aviation Center, Rantoul, Ill. For more information: TopGunLargeCarShootout.com.
- 27 – 20th annual Semi Truck Pull and Pride/Polish at Broome County Fair Ground, Whitney Point, N.Y. Gates open 7:30 a.m., free registration 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. or call 570-649-5008 or 570-394-3805. Three classes. Semi truck pull starts at about 1 p.m.
- 2-4 Carlisle Truck Nationals Carlisle, Pa., Fairgrounds. Details can be found at CarlisleEvents.com.
- 2-4 Shiawassee County Fair Truck Show at the Shiawassee Fairgrounds, Corunna, Mich. For more information, visit Facebook.com/ShiawasseeTruckShow.
- 8-11National Brockway Truck Show at the CNY Living History Center and Brockway Truck Museum in Cortland, N.Y. For more information, visit BrockwayTrucks.org.
- 9-10 Waupun Truck-N-Show in Waupun, Wis. For more information, visit WapunTruckShow.com, call 920-324-9985 or find the show on Facebook.
- 9-11 Buckeye Invitational Truck Show at the Clark County Fairgrounds in Springfield, Ohio. Includes the Jim Johnston OOIDA Memorial Convoy benefiting Truckersfinalmile.org. For more information, visit BuckeyeInvitationalTruckShow.com.
- 16-18 Eau Claire Big Rig Truck Show at the Northern Wisconsin State Fair Grounds, Chippewa Falls, Wis. For more information, visit EauClaireBigRigTruckShow.com.
- 22-24 20th anniversary Great American Trucking Show, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, Dallas. For more information, visit TruckShow.com.
- 6-7 Big Iron Classic Truck Show and Charity Drive at the Dodge County Fairgrounds in Kasson, Minn. For more information, visit BigIronClassic.com.
- 7 Truck Convoy for Special Olympics, Rosenau Terminal in Rocky View, Alberta. For more information, visit https://www.specialolympics.ca/alberta-letr/events/sat-09072019-0800/truck-convoy-2019
- 13-15 Richard Crane Memorial Truck Show in St. Ignace, Mich. For more info, visit StIgnace.com/carshows.
- 12-13 California Trucking Show, Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, Calif. For more information, visit CaliforniaTruckingShow.com or call 877-281-7758.
- 18-19 Grease, Steam and Rust Association Truck Show at the Fulton County Fairgrounds in McConnellsburg, Pa. For more information, visit gsandr.com.
- 28-31 North American Commercial Vehicle Show in the Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta. For more information, visit nacvshow.com.
- 5-8 Specialty Equipment Market Association Show, Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas. For more information, visit SEMA.org.