Land Line Now, May 1, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
How do truckers deal with low rates offered during the pandemic – as well as a host of other problems? We’ll have some advice. Also, masks are on the way.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The FMCSA restarts the crash preventability program; Arizona adds truck parking spaces; and a tale of face masks and food – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Protective masks are on the way; testing next
The FMCSA’s effort to provide truckers with personal protective equipment is underway – with COVID-19 testing planned ahead.
III. Low rates are on truckers’ minds
Jon Osburn has been spending some time in sunny Florida, hearing from drivers about low rates and tough-to-get Small Business Administration loans.
IV. Low rates – advice for dealing with them
In addition to low rates, truckers are also struggling with problems that have plagued the industry for years, which are now at crisis level. We’ll have some advice on how truckers can protect themselves.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The FMCSA has set up a dedicated web page for updates on when and where it is distributing masks to truck drivers.
- Natso and the International Franchise Association have partnered to share information about available food options at truck stops and travel plazas across the country. You can find the information on Natso’s website or the Franchise website.
- Starting Saturday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA in Slidell, La. That’s at Exit 266 on Interstate 10. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- If you have an issue with a broker, OOIDA strongly encourages you to file a complaint with FMCSA’s National Consumer Complaint Database online or call 888-368-7238.
- If you file a complaint, please send a copy to OOIDA at Questions@OOIDA.com.
- You are also encouraged to send a copy to your representative and senators in Congress; just use the Fighting for Truckers website. And you can also contact your lawmaker at 202-224-3121.
- If you do not receive tax refunds through direct deposit and want to receive your federal Economic Impact Payment (the $1200 payment to most Americans in the last relief bill) through that method, you can enter your bank information at the IRS’s Get My Payment page.