Land Line Now, Aug. 12, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Regulations called for in the infrastructure bill include automatic emergency braking systems and an under-21 truck driver pilot program.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
I-70 in Colorado could partially reopen this weekend. Another lawsuit is filed in a deadly Alabama crash. And the California Highway Patrol doesn’t take any bull … well, except maybe this one.
II. Regulations in the infrastructure bill
The infrastructure bill that just passed in the U.S. Senate would require automatic emergency braking systems, create a pilot program for under-21 truck drivers, and study both factors that lead to a crash and a system for reporting coercion in trucking.
III. Left-lane rules get a once over in four states
Four states are changing the rules for use of the left lane on superhighways, while Missouri has cleared the final hurdle to increasing its fuel tax for the first time in 25 years. We’ll have information about some upcoming truck shows on the Land Line Now Industry Calendar.
IV. As China ramps up shipping, U.S. ports strain
China is ramping up industrial production – and exports – and it’s having an effect on U.S. ports and trucking. Meanwhile, the Biden administration is considering how to react to the COVID surge.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The OOIDA Foundation will offer its Truck to Success seminar both in person at the Courtyard by Marriott in Blue Springs, Mo., and online via Zoom starting at 8 a.m. Central Time Oct. 26-28. You can register here.
- Starting Friday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Waupun Truck-n-Show. That’s located at 510 E Spring Street in Waupun, Wis. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- Read more about the Apprenticeship Pilot Program here.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- You can find upcoming truck shows and events here.
- Find a location to get a COVID-19 vaccination by entering a zip code into the website VaccineFinder.org. You can also call 800-232-0233 or find more vaccine information from the CDC here.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.