Land Line Now, April 8, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The PRO Act, California’s AB5 and the ABC Test are part of an assault on the independent contractor business model that could spread nationwide.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Enforcement against unsafe Mexican carriers takes another step forward. A U.S. Senator wants more trucking information on mapping apps. And a bank robber leaves investigators fit to be tied.
II. Rules to investigate cross-border trucking
The U.S. International Trade Commission is writing rules for investigating problems with cross-border trucking with Mexico. Meanwhile, the NTSB issues its most wanted list, and the feds consider changes to independent contractor rules.
III. Speed and red-light camera rules
Some states want to allow red light or speed enforcement cameras, while others want the opposite. Now, nine states looking to make a change one way or the other.
IV. PRO Act raises independent contract worries
Through the PRO Act, California’s AB5 and the ABC Test, an assault against the independent contractor model of business has been underway for some time, starting in California. Now, it could spread nationwide – and a battle over the filibuster in the Senate could affect how that turns out.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The FBI is seeking the public’s help in an investigation into a pair of truck drivers accused of kidnapping women and holding them for ransom. Contact the FBI at TruckerVictims@FBI.gov.
- The Transportation Security Administration is looking to update the rules on how CDL holders renew or obtain hazmat endorsements. You can find more information and submit your comments until June 7.
- The American Transportation Research Institute and the OOIDA Foundation are gathering information on the impact of rising insurance costs on truck drivers. You can take the survey here. Deadline is May 1.
- OOIDA is urging truckers to contact your members of Congress to support bill HR2187. It would provide funding to pave more truck parking. Go to Fighting For Truckers or call 202-224-3121.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Petro in Kingdom City, Mo. That’s at Exit 148 off Interstate 70. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State.
- You can find the USITC Implementing Rules here.
- Independent Contractor Rule comments are due April 12. You can submit those here.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines , we want to hear from you for a story . Send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.