LLN (5/23/19) – OOIDA fights plan allowing drivers under 21 to drive interstate trucks. Also, the Association works to clarify the definition of automobile haulers. Meanwhile, a new Montana law allows trucks to travel at 70 mph on interstates. We’ll have information about upcoming truck shows. And we’ll find out what OOIDA told federal officials about hours of service, infrastructure and other issues.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:43 – Under 21 drivers; car haulers
24:43-39:38 – Montana speed limit; truck shows
39:38-49:22 – OOIDA visit to DC
- A recent effort to reform non-consensual towing in Missouri was successful. And that is a sign that Missouri truckers are in a good position to improve things for the industry. Read more about the issue here:
- The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association has honored Billy J. Haarhues of Elizabeth, Colo., for 10 years of safe, accident-free driving. He’s the latest recipient of the OOIDA Safe Driving Award. Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. And you can read about our latest batch of safe drivers here: OOIDA recognizes drivers for safe driving records.
OOIDA is fighting an attempt to allow drivers under 21 to drive interstate trucks. Terry Scruton talks about that, plus efforts to clarify the definition of automobile haulers and the latest on hours of service with OOIDA’s manager of government affairs Mike Matousek.
- Read more about the issue:
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- If you have questions you would like answered you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
A new law in Montana will allow trucks to travel at 70 miles per hour on interstates, reducing the state’s split speed limit. Mary McKenna talks with our state legislative experts, Keith Goble and Mike Matousek.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, Montana raises truck speed limit to 70 mph on interstates.
- You can also read, Nevada Senate approves local diesel tax.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit the OOIDA Legislative page.
Mary and Mark Reddig have information about upcoming truck shows on the Land Line Now Industry Calendar. (See below for a list of upcoming truck shows and links to more information.)
Recently, OOIDA Executive Vice President Lewie Pugh traveled to our nation’s capital to meet with federal officials and lawmakers about some of the important current issues in trucking. Mark Reddig finds out who he met with and what issues were covered.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- 30-June 2 Wheel Jam Truck Showin Huron, S.D. For more information, go to WheelJamTruckShow.com or call 605-354-2809.
- 31-June 2 Memory Lane Car & Truck Showat the Sauk County Fairgrounds in Baraboo, Wis. For more information, visit SaukCountyFair.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608-963-8849.
- 31-June 2 ATHS Convention and Truck Showat the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, Nev. For more info, visit ATHS.org/2019Convention
- 7-8 Joplin Truckers Jamboreeat the Joplin 44 Petro in Joplin, Mo. For more information, go to Joplin44.com.
- 8-9Texas Trucking Show, NRG Center, Houston. For more information, visit TexasTruckingShow.com.
- 14-15 Oak Grove Truckers Jamboreeat the Oak Grove 70 Petro in Oak Grove, Mo. For more information, go to OakGrovePetro.com.
- 15-16 Ohio Vintage Truck Jamboreein Ashland, Ohio. Go to ohvintrkjam.com for information.
- 21-23 Great Lakes Truck Show, Cabela’s in Dundee, Mich. For more information, visit GreatLakesTruckShow.org.
- 29 – Belvidere Heritage Daystruck show, Belvidere, Ill. Starts at 9 a.m.
- 11-1340th anniversary Walcott Truckers Jamboree, Iowa 80 Truckstop, Walcott, Iowa. For more information, visit Iowa80TruckStop.com.
- 19-20 Gulf Coast Big Rig Truck Show, Mississippi Coast Convention Center, Biloxi, Miss. For more information, visit GulfCoastBirRigTruckShow.com.
- 19-20 Expedite Expoat the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Ind. For more information, visit ExpediteExpo.com or Facebook.com/expediteexpo/.
- 25-27 Shell Rotella SuperRigsat Trail’s Travel Center, off I-35 in Albert Lea, Minn. For more information, visit Rotella.com.
- 26-28 Top Gun Large Car Shoot Outat Rantoul National Aviation Center, Rantoul, Ill. For more information: TopGunLargeCarShootout.com.
- 27 – 20th annual Semi Truck Pull and Pride/Polishat Broome County Fair Ground, Whitney Point, N.Y. Gates open 7:30 a.m., free registration 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. or call 570-649-5008 or 570-394-3805. Three classes. Semi truck pull starts at about 1 p.m.
- 2-4 Carlisle Truck Nationals,Carlisle, Pa., Fairgrounds. Details can be found at CarlisleEvents.com.
- 2-4 Shiawassee County Fair Truck Showat the Shiawassee Fairgrounds, Corunna, Mich. For more information, visit Facebook.com/ShiawasseeTruckShow.
- 8-11National Brockway Truck Showat the CNY Living History Center and Brockway Truck Museum in Cortland, N.Y. For mor einformation, visit BrockwayTrucks.org.
- 9-10 Waupun Truck-N-Showin Waupun, Wis. For more information, visit WapunTruckShow.com, call 920-324-9985 or find the show on Facebook.
- 9-11 Buckeye Invitational Truck Showat the Clark County Fairgrounds in Springfield, Ohio. Includes the Jim Johnston OOIDA Memorial Convoy benefiting Truckersfinalmile.org. For more information, visit BuckeyeInvitationalTruckSshow.com.
- 16-18 Eau Claire Big Rig Truck Showat the Northern Wisconsin State Fair Grounds, Chippewa Falls, Wis. For more information, visit EauClaireBigRigTruckShow.com.
- 22-24 20th anniversary Great American Trucking Show, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, Dallas. For more information, visit TruckShow.com.
- 6-7 Big Iron Classic Truck Showand Charity Drive at the Dodge County Fairgrounds in Kasson, Minn. For more information, visit BigIronClassic.com.
- 13-15 Richard Crane Memorial Truck Showin St. Ignace, Mich. For more info, visit StIgnace.com/carshows.
- 12-13 California Trucking Show, Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, Calif. For more information, visit CaliforniaTruckingShow.com or call 877-281-7758.
- 18-19 Grease, Steam and Rust Association Truck Showat the Fulton County Fairgrounds in McConnellsburg, Pa. For more information, visit gsandr.com.
- 28-31 North American Commercial Vehicle Showin the Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta. For more information, visit nacvshow.com.
- 5-8 Specialty Equipment Market Association Show, Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas. For more information, visit SEMA.org.