Land Line Now, March 10, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A bill in Congress would make California’s controversial definition of who is an independent contractor, the ABC Test, a national standard through the PRO Act.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The PRO Act is passed by the House and moves on to the Senate. The FMCSA has declared an Ohio driver to be an imminent hazard. And a ticket that could only happen in Florida.
II. What gets you a better rate?
Every year, the OOIDA Foundation takes a look at some of the factors that can affect the success of truck drivers. And high up on the list is the price that shippers pay to move freight. We’ll review the latest freight rate survey – plus some new online classes on getting your own authority.
III. Rising imports, rising rates
There’s no end in sight for a surge in pandemic-related imports, and rates are on the rise.
IV. Federal ABC test edges closer
A bill in Congress called the PRO Act would take California’s controversial definition of who is or is not an independent contractor – the so-called ABC Test – and make it a national standard.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- You can make a report and find out more about ADOT’s efforts to combat human trafficking here. You can also report via phone at 888-373-7888.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Petro in Hammond, La. That’s at Exit 40 off Interstate 12. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- Find out more about the OOIDA Foundation here.
- The OOIDA Foundation is offering a series of free, online classes on getting your own authority. The first videos in the series can be found on YouTube or OOIDA’s online education page.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- Read more about the ABC Test, as well as the PRO Act and how it would affect owner-operators.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.