LLN (7/29/19) – Lawmakers have sent a bill to Congress aimed to increase minimum insurance requirements to many times their current level. Also, a Michigan lawmaker explains how she arrived at her proposal to end the split speed limit there. The Federal Highway Administration has scheduled several truck parking workshops. We’ll explain why the difference between the stated value of your truck and its actual value is important. And before you even think about a lease-purchase deal, you need to research specific aspects of the carrier; we’ll explain.
0:00-9:56 – Newscast
9:56 -24:39 – Ending Michigan’s split speed limit; parking workshops
24:39-39:35 – Actual value vs. stated value; lease-purchase
39:35-49:35 – Effort to increase insurance requirements
- A number of items of interest to truckers were published in the Federal Register on Monday.
- The FMCSA is seeking public comments on a plan to develop a second pilot program to allow drivers ages of 18-20 behind the wheel of interstate commercial vehicles. Comments are due Aug. 14.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at Petro in Effingham, Ill. That’s located at Exit 159 off Interstates 70 and 57. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount.
- See the full Spirit schedule.
- Read The Spirit heads to Effingham, Ill., when SuperRigs is over.
Michigan has a proposal on the table to end the split speed limit in that state. Mark Reddig talks with the woman behind that effort, State Representative Sarah Lightner.
- Read the bill here.
- You can find contact information for Michigan representatives here.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine: Michigan bill would nix speed limit differentials.
The Federal Highway Administration has scheduled several truck parking workshops. Mark Reddig will get the details.
- If you’re interested in attending the Reno, Nev., meeting Sept. 17 contact:
Freight Program Manager
Freight Planning Section
Nevada Department of Transportation
Telephone: (775) 888-7354
- Read Land Line Magazine’s most recent The Parking Zone – July 2019.
There is a significant difference between the stated value of your truck vs. its actual value. Terry Scruton finds out why that difference is important from Trina McIntyre and Stacey Sanders of OOIDA’s Truck Insurance Department.
- Learn more: Get truck insurance from the people fighting for truckers’ rights.
- Find out more information about OOIDA’s Truck Insurance.
- You can also call the insurance department directly at 800-715-9369.
- If you have a question about truck insurance you’d like answered on the air, you can call the Land Line Now Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
Before you even think about a lease-purchase deal, you need to research specific aspects of the carrier – including turnover. Mark Reddig gets some advice from Adam Kleinschmidt of OOIDA’s Business Assistance Department.
- You can check for information about turnover at various carriers at GlassDoor.com.
- Be sure to check out OOIDA Compliance Connection
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Assistance department does here.
- And you can contact them at 816-229-5791.
A bill that would increase truckers’ minimum insurance requirements more than 550% their current level is now before Congress. Mark Reddig finds out what you need to know from OOIDA Manager of Government Affairs Mike Matousek.
- Read OOIDA’s letter here.
- You can read bill H.R. 3781 here.
- Read more here: OOIDA letter asks Congress to reject ‘misguided’ plan to raise insurance minimums.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at the Fighting for Truckers website.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.