Land Line Now, July 14, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Efforts in Congress to increase truckers’ insurance requirements have been boosted of late. But several organizations, led by OOIDA, oppose the effort.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A group of states joins California in pursuit of zero emission trucks; diesel prices are up slightly for the 6th week in a row; and could solar powered trucks be the next big thing? It’s today’s news in trucking.
II. The journey from spreadsheet to software
When John Ewing founded The Trucker’s Helper, it involved a simple spreadsheet for tracking his own files. Over the years, it’s expanded to include more services for owner-operators and fleets alike. We’ll have a history lesson on how that spreadsheet changed and continues to evolve today.
III. Michigan may see tolls ahead
A new Michigan law could lead to tolling some roads. Also, Georgia considers freight movement legislation.
IV. Insurance increase fight continues
Efforts in Congress to increase truckers’ insurance requirements have been boosted of late. But several organizations, led by OOIDA, have opposed the effort.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- Starting Wednesday, Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the Petro in Rochelle, Ill., at Exit 99 on Interstate 39. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also has face masks if you’re in need.
- Find out more about what Truckers Helper offers online.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- A quick correction – on a previous show, we incorrectly listed the dates for estimated tax payments. The first and second quarter estimated tax payments are due July 15. Taxes on extension are due Oct. 15.