Land Line Now, Sept. 3, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The FMCSA plans to test an hours of service option – allowing truckers to take up to a 3-hour break that stops their 14-hour clock.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The comment period on the FMCSA’s hours of service pilot program is now open; OOIDA says a new study on so-called safety technology is flawed; and irony, thy name is Florida – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Testing a stop to the hours of service clock
The FMCSA plans to conduct an hours of service pilot program to test the benefits of allowing truckers to stop their 14-hour clock for up to 3 hours. Also, we’ll have the results of Safe Driver Week and information about delays in 2290 receipts.
III. Arkansas to decide whether to continue tax
Should Arkansas continue to collect a sales tax for road work? Voters will soon decide. Also, controversy over a potential public vote on tolls in Oregon.
IV. Safety tech study
We’ll examine a study of safety technology, specifically automatic emergency braking and forward collision warning. Also, we’ll discuss the results of Operation Safe Driver Week from back in July, plus a preview of how COVID-19 vaccines may be distributed.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the Petro in Albert Lea, Minn., at Exit 11 off Interstates 90 and 35. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon has free face masks as well as pneumonia and shingles vaccine vouchers.
- You can submit comments on the hours of service pilot program here. Comments are due by Nov. 2.
- You can read the statistics on Operation Safe Driver Week here.
- Find out more about 2290 delays.
- You can find OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues here.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.