Land Line Now, Feb. 1, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Some truckers are still not clear about hours-of-service waiver rules that guide them during the COVID-19 pandemic. We’ll consult an expert.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A major winter storm targets the northeast. A coalition asks Congress to stay away from raising insurance minimums. And it’s getting a little salty in Ohio.
II. Hours of service, waivers and the pandemic
Some truckers are still not clear about the rules that guide them during the COVID-19 pandemic. We’ll go over the rules – and a problem with one state failing to recognize an extension on medical cards.
III. New administration, new issues
A new administration is settling in in Washington, D.C., and that means there are different issues truckers are going to need to fight or support. Fortunately, Land Line Magazine has a playbook for such things in its February issue.
IV. Trucker tells it like it is in Indiana
Significantly heavier trucks could soon be allowed on Indiana roads, with a proposal under consideration by lawmakers. Among those who testified on the issue was a trucker from Indiana.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission has proposed toll increases on all eight of the bridges it operates for both passenger vehicles and trucks. A comment period on the plan is now open. You can read more about the plan and file comments here: http://www.drjtbc.org/tollcomments.
- Learn more about CVSA and inspections at CVSA.org.
- OOIDA recently sent the Indiana State Legislature a letter in opposition to SB40 and HB1190. Both of these bills are intended to allow heavier trucks on Indiana roadways. Contact your lawmakers today to share your thoughts.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Eloy, Ariz. That’s at Exit 200 off Interstate 10. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- If you see any activity that either appears to be an imminent attack or preparation for one, you are urged to contact the FBI at either Tips.FBI.gov or call 800-225-5324.