Land Line Now, Dec. 2, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The FMCSA has extended its pandemic-related, emergency hours-of-service waiver, as well as CDL and medical card waivers, into next year.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
What the latest move to avoid a government shutdown means for you. The U.S. DOT extends a grace period of sorts for drug and alcohol testing. And fans of a holiday classic now have a chance to spend a night inside the home where all the action took place.
II. Hours-of-service waiver extended through February
The FMCSA has extended its pandemic emergency hours-of-service waiver through the end of February, as well as CDL and medical card waivers. Also, a vaccine deadline is set for truckers who cross the border. And the FTC launches a supply chain investigation.
III. Haven’t paid your tolls? Watch out in New Jersey
New Jersey lawmakers want to collect millions in tolls unpaid by out-of-state drivers every year, while the Washington state Supreme Court says the governor’s line item veto of transit funding went too far.
IV. Who will lead the Transportation Committee next?
Now that Peter DeFazio says he will not seek re-election, who will take the top job at the powerful House Transportation Committee – and what does that mean for truck drivers? And we’ll explain what the government is doing in response to the Omicron variant of COVID-19.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- CVSA is offering two public web seminars. Human Trafficking Prevention is Dec. 3, you can register here. And Hazardous Materials Regulations is Dec. 9, you can register here.
- You can register here for the National Coalition on Truck Parking workshop. It takes place Dec. 16.
- FMCSA has a new instructional video, How To Register, FMCSA Registration Overview for Motor Carriers, on how to complete the registration process using FMCSA’s online Unified Registration System.
- Truckers can receive vouchers for free flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations. Email the St. Christopher Fund at Julie@TruckersFund.org or call 865-544-8145.
- Starting Dec. 9, Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the TA in Sweetwater, Texas. That’s at Exit 242 off Interstate 20. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- FMCSA has extended its emergency HOS waiver through end of February, read more here. CDL and medical card waivers were also extended. Get those details here.
- The White House has announced a Jan. 22 vaccine deadline for foreign essential travelers.
- FTC launches inquiry into supply chain problems.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View the most recent notices on the Bulletin Board.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- You can donate to the Truckers for Troops fund all year long.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.