Land Line Now, Aug. 25, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The markets are often at Mother Nature’s mercy. Severe weather out east and extreme heat out west are having an effect on freight rates.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
$1 billion awarded in deadly crash involving two trucking companies. Cross-border freight hits record high. And your next trip through Pennsylvania could involve a reservation – although you won’t be the one making it.
II. Brokers, carriers, damaged freight and contracts
Who should pay the cost for a load that’s damaged? Federal law contains some instructions on the topic, but in reality, it’s the contracts between brokers and carriers that ends up deciding the question.
III. Weather and freight rates
The markets are often at the mercy of Mother Nature, and this past week was no different. Severe weather out east and extreme heat out west are having an effect on rates. We’ll review what’s happened and what’s expected to happen in the markets.
IV. Infrastructure and budget move forward – for now
The U.S. House is finally moving ahead on both the bipartisan infrastructure bill and the annual federal budget. However, that doesn’t mean it’s all a done deal.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cell phone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The sheriff’s department in Coffee County, Tenn. is asking for help recovering a stolen 2016 Peterbilt. You can find more information on the Coffee County Sheriff’s Facebook page.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Thursday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be the Petro in Clearwater, Minn. That’s located at Exit 178 off Interstate 94. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- If you have broker issues you need to discuss call OOIDA Business Services at 816-229-5791.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.