Land Line Now, May 20, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
What sorts of things might get checked during your next DOT physical? The FMCSA Medical Review Board is considering changes to those rules.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Former Pilot president Mark Hazelwood targets the judge in his new trial. A bill aimed at ending abuse in lawsuits against trucking companies moves forward in Texas. And you want to go to space? It’ll cost ya.
II. FMCSA panel debates medical rule changes
The medical requirements you will face as a trucker are being debated today by an FMCSA committee in our nation’s capital – while a debate over implementing the U.S. Mexico Canada trade agreement cause friction among the three countries, with truckers stuck in the middle.
III. Want to reduce emissions – how ‘bout a big honkin’ fuel tax?
The state of New York has a unique way of trying to reduce emissions from motor vehicles – they plan a big fuel tax increase. Meanwhile, Idaho lawmakers have approved an effort to spend more money on roads.
IV. FMCSA can still require things without highway bill
A battle is underway to keep speed limiters, higher insurance requirements and other factors damaging to truckers out of the upcoming highway bill. However, the FMCSA can still require those things even if the bill doesn’t include them. And why does the government continually drop safety regulations every time there’s a national crisis?
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Get the details on vaccine clinics and locations here.
- Starting Saturday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Petro in Bordentown, N.J. That’s at Exit 57 off Interstate 295 and Exit 7 off the turnpike. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- See OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- Tell Sen. John Cornyn of Texas – No new truck-only taxes! OOIDA issues a Call to Action.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.