LLN (6/20/19) – FMCSA chief says hours of service changes are coming soon. He’ll also address CSA and under 21 truckers in testimony to Congress. Nevada towns get the authority to collect a tax on diesel fuel. Meanwhile, Washington state makes an express toll lanes pilot project permanent. We’ll have information about upcoming truck shows. The private sector wants FEMA to be proactive about hurricanes. And an update on the FMCSA’s Crash Preventability Demonstration Program.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:42 – Martinez testimony
24:42-39:40 – Nevada local diesel tax; Washington state toll lanes
39:40-49:24 – Private sector tells FEMA to act proactively
- Starting Saturday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Troutdale, Ore. That’s located at Exit 17 on Interstate 84. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
- Dennis M. Mraz of Manitowoc, Wis., has been recognized by the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association for 17 years of safe, accident-free driving as part of the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
Earlier this week FMCSA Administrator Ray Martinez talked about a number of trucking issues before a congressional committee – including the latest on hours of service. Terry Scruton talks about that plus the latest exemption requests from the Federal Register with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- Read more about Martinez’ testimony:
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- If you have questions you would like answered you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
Truckers fueling in Nevada soon will be paying more tax at the pump with the promise to make public funds available for truck parking in the state. And a new law in Washington state makes permanent the express toll lanes pilot project on Interstate 405 northeast of Seattle. Mary McKenna finds out more from Land Line Magazine’s Keith Goble.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, Nevada locales get diesel tax collection authority.
- You can also read, Washington state law extends I-405 tolls, lanes.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit the OOIDA Legislative page.
Mary and Mark Reddig offer up information about upcoming truck shows on the Land Line Now Industry Calendar (see the complete Industry Calendar below).
The private sector is urging FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security to stop reacting to natural disasters such as hurricanes, and instead plan ahead. Mark Reddig covers that – plus the FMCSA’s Crash Preventability Demonstration Program – with OOIDA Director of Safety and Security Operations Doug Morris.
- Learn more about the Crash Preventability Demonstration Program: FMCSA needs more small carriers to participate in crash preventability study.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- 21-23 Great Lakes Truck Show, Cabela’s in Dundee, Mich. For more information, visit GreatLakesTruckShow.org.
- 29 – Belvidere Heritage Daystruck show, Belvidere, Ill. For more information, visit facebook.com/belvidereheritagedays/.
- 11-1340th anniversary Walcott Truckers Jamboree, Iowa 80 Truckstop, Walcott, Iowa. For more information, visit Iowa80TruckStop.com.
- 19-20 Gulf Coast Big Rig Truck Show, Mississippi Coast Convention Center, Biloxi, Miss. For more information, visit GulfCoastBirRigTruckShow.com.
- 19-20 Expedite Expoat the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Ind. For more information, visit ExpediteExpo.com or Facebook.com/expediteexpo/.
- 25-27 Shell Rotella SuperRigsat Trail’s Travel Center, off I-35 in Albert Lea, Minn. For more information, visit Rotella.com.
- 26-28 Top Gun Large Car Shoot Outat Rantoul National Aviation Center, Rantoul, Ill. For more information: TopGunLargeCarShootout.com.
- 27 – 20th annual Semi Truck Pull and Pride/Polishat Broome County Fair Ground, Whitney Point, N.Y. Gates open 7:30 a.m., free registration 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. or call 570-649-5008 or 570-394-3805. Three classes. Semi truck pull starts at about 1 p.m.
- 2-4 Carlisle Truck Nationals,Carlisle, Pa., Fairgrounds. Details can be found at CarlisleEvents.com.
- 2-4 Shiawassee County Fair Truck Showat the Shiawassee Fairgrounds, Corunna, Mich. For more information, visit Facebook.com/ShiawasseeTruckShow.
- 7-9 Boogaloo Cajun Fest and Driver Appreciation Days at Truck World Inc., Hubbard, Ohio. For info at Facebook.com/TruckWorldInc/
- 8-11National Brockway Truck Showat the CNY Living History Center and Brockway Truck Museum in Cortland, N.Y. For mor einformation, visit BrockwayTrucks.org.
- 9-10 Waupun Truck-N-Showin Waupun, Wis. For more information, visit WapunTruckShow.com, call 920-324-9985 or find the show on Facebook.
- 9-11 Buckeye Invitational Truck Showat the Clark County Fairgrounds in Springfield, Ohio. Includes the Jim Johnston OOIDA Memorial Convoy benefiting Truckersfinalmile.org. For more information, visit BuckeyeInvitationalTruckSshow.com.
- 16-18 Eau Claire Big Rig Truck Showat the Northern Wisconsin State Fair Grounds, Chippewa Falls, Wis. For more information, visit EauClaireBigRigTruckShow.com.
- 22-24 20th anniversary Great American Trucking Show, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, Dallas. For more information, visit TruckShow.com.
- 6-7 Big Iron Classic Truck Showand Charity Drive at the Dodge County Fairgrounds in Kasson, Minn. For more information, visit BigIronClassic.com.
- 7 Truck Convoy for Special Olympics, Rosenau Terminal in Rocky View, Alberta.For more information, visit https://www.specialolympics.ca/alberta-letr/events/sat-09072019-0800/truck-convoy-2019
- 13-15 Richard Crane Memorial Truck Showin St. Ignace, Mich. For more info, visit StIgnace.com/carshows.
- 28-29 Truckin’ for Kids truck drag races and show and shine, Irwindale Event Center, Irwindale, Calif. For more information, visit TruckinForKids.org.
- 12-13 California Trucking Show, Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, Calif. For more information, visit CaliforniaTruckingShow.com or call 877-281-7758.
- 18-19 Grease, Steam and Rust Association Truck Showat the Fulton County Fairgrounds in McConnellsburg, Pa. For more information, visit gsandr.com.
- 28-31 North American Commercial Vehicle Showin the Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta. For more information, visit nacvshow.com.
- 5-8 Specialty Equipment Market Association Show, Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas. For more information, visit SEMA.org.