LLN (5/3/19) – A congressman works to end the sales tax on new trucks. Also, two truckers involved in the Run for the Wall discuss the annual tribute to veterans. Meanwhile, an invasive insect causes havoc for northeast U.S. agriculture – and truckers could face fines. Jon Osburn experiences Florida heat and hurricane damage, and prepares for a new Spirit truck. And lawmakers try to ease hours of service for livestock haulers.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:43 – Run for the Wall
24:43-39:38 – Spotted Lantern Fly; new Spirit
39:38-49:23 – Tax on new trucks; Hours of Service for livestock haulers
- OOIDA has recognized Bill E. Ater Jr. of Arlington, Texas, for 18 years of safe, accident-free driving as part of the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. To learn more, click here. And you can read about our latest batch of safe drivers here: OOIDA recognizes drivers for safe driving records.
Every year, motorcyclists take part in the Run for the Wall – a coast-to-coast ride honoring our veterans. And it’s coming up soon. Mary McKenna talks with OOIDA members and veterans David Talley, a ride organizer, and Dave Jungeblut, who takes part this year.
- For more information, go to the Run for the Wall website.
An invasive insect is causing havoc for agriculture in the northeast portion of the U.S. – and trucker could even face fines for not follow required procedures to fight it. Mark Reddig finds out what you need to know from Jim Jefferson of OOIDA’s Business Services Department.
- For information, you can call OOIDA’s Business Services Department at 816-229-5791.
- You can also find information at OOIDA’s Online Education website.
- Take the required course – Spotted Lanternfly Permit Training for Business – through the PennState Extension.
- If you have questions about the permitting process, email the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are outside of the quarantine area, report any sightings to the Pennsylvania State University Extension at https://extension.psu.edu/have-you-seen-a-spotted-lanternfly or call 888-4-BADFLY (888-422-3359).
Jon Osburn is experiencing Florida heat, viewing last year’s hurricane damage and getting ready for a new Spirit truck. Mark talks with the man who drives the Spirit of the American Trucker.
- See the full Spirit Schedule.
- For information about vaccine vouchers available at the spirit, click here: Free pneumonia, shingles vaccine shots available to truckers.
A congressman is working to end the sales tax on new trucks. Mark Reddig covers that, plus an effort to ease Hours of Service for livestock haulers, with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- To read more about the proposed repeal of the tax on new trucks, click here: Bill would repeal federal excise tax; OOIDA waits to see offset.
- You can also learn more about the effort to help livestock haulers here: Bill would ease hours-of-service regulations for livestock haulers.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.