Land Line Now, Oct. 6, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A CPAP machine recall and computer chip shortage are creating problems for many truckers. The feds are considering some form of relief.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
FMCSA issues final ruling on process that will keep CDLs out of hands of drug and alcohol violators. Another person suspected of catching ride on moving semi, only this time they were injured. And it may be October, but winter weather is already coming to one part of the country.
II. CPAP recall, chip shortage spell trouble for truckers
A CPAP machine recall has combined with the shortage of computer chips to create problems for many truckers who are required to use the devices. Now, the government is considering some form of relief.
III. Consumer demand pushes high freight volume
Consumer demand in the retail freight sector has been fueling the historic volumes of freight we’ve seen over the past year. Dean Croke of DAT has some insights about where we might be headed next before getting into the latest trends and numbers in the spot market.
IV. NHTSA: ‘Thousands’ of crashes from autonomous vehicles
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently reported that it expects thousands of crashes each year involving autonomous vehicles. And that raises questions about one of the basic justifications for the move toward that technology, which is the contention that it would improve safety.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA’s TRACER system has issued an alert on a stolen 2001 Freightliner Conventional. For more information go to TRACERsystem.us. If you have information, call 202-246-2698
- Starting Friday, Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the Petro in Laramie, Wyo. That’s at Exit 310 off Interstate 80. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Find out more about the Medical Review Board’s meeting on the recall of CPAP and BiPAP machines.
- You can submit comments here on the DOT’s Request for Information on America’s supply chain. Comments are due Oct. 18.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- NHTSA is asking for comments on whether to continue incident reporting for Level 2-5 autonomous vehicles. You can submit those here through Nov. 29. And you can get more information from Land Line here.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.