LLN (7/4/19) – Congress recently took a look a trucking issues such as automation, driver training, CSA, detention and more. Also, you can do a lot to make your truck’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning work better. And a new effort to require speed limiters in all trucks has sprung up in Congress.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:42 – Congress and trucking issues
24:42-39:40 – Your trucks HVAC
39:40-49:24 – Speed limiter bill
- The FMCSA is seeking public comments on a plan to develop a second pilot program to allow drivers between the ages of 18 and 20 behind the wheel of interstate commercial vehicles. We’ll have a link on our website where you can files comments – those are due July 15.
- You can file comments here.
- Read more about the proposal here: FMCSA seeks comments on expanded pilot program for younger drivers.
- Learn about the current pilot program for military drivers only: Under-21 military drivers can apply for FMCSA pilot program.
- Registration is now open for the second edition of OOIDA’s live business seminar, “Truck to Success.” The class takes place Sept. 10-12 at the Courtyard by Marriott at Exit 21 off Interstate 70 in Blue Springs, Mo. The class is designed for truckers who are about to make the leap into becoming an owner-operator, and for those who have been in the industry to cut costs and become more financially successful.
- For more information, go to the OOIDA Online Education website.
- Read more about the class: OOIDA plans fall Truck to Success seminar for potential owner-operators.
- Starting July 11, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Walcott Truckers Jamboree. That takes place at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
Congress recently took a look a trucking issues ranging from CSA scores and Detention time to automation and driver training, among others. Mary McKenna provides us with highlights from the hearing.
- Read more about the hearing:
- Read more about some of the issues discussed:
Heating, ventilation and air conditioning are important for a trucker’s comfort. And you can do a lot that will make it work better, extend its working life and making yourself comfortable. Mark Reddig finds out how from Kevin Lindsey and Jerry Bodkins with TA Petro.
- You can find more on truck repair and maintenance from TA Petro, here.
- If you have questions for Kevin and Jerry, email them at AskTATruckService@ta-petro.com.
A new effort to require speed limiters in all trucks has sprung up in Congress. Mark Reddig finds out what’s going on from Collin Long of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Read a commentary on the topic by Land Line Magazine’s Tyson Fisher: Mandatory speed limiters would cause more deaths.