Land Line Now, Oct. 8, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
California’s controversial AB5 is waiting on a court ruling that will likely decide its fate – and the fate of thousands of owner-operators.
I. Today’s news with Greg Grisolano
The Federal Highway Administration honors seven highway safety projects. A bevy of road closings across the country. And the toll booth that no one wants to go away.
II. Social media influencers
Among the weirder aspects of our modern, computer-driven society is the emergency of so-called “social media influencers” – people who advertise themselves as experts in some topic and build audiences on social media platforms. This year, Bryan Martin invited some of those influencers to the Guilty By Association Truck Show for the first time. We’ll find out how it went.
III. Parts shortage hits the Spirit
Marty Ellis has experienced something many truckers have over the past few months – the shortage of certain truck parts due to the lack of computer chips. But he’s back on the road now, fielding questions about the hours-of-service emergency order.
IV. AB5 update
Controversy continues to swirl around California’s independent contractor law, AB5. And the law is still waiting on a court decision that will likely decide its fate – and the fate of thousands of owner-operators.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Visit Chrome Shop Mafia and 4 State Trucks. If you have a question you’d like to ask Bryan about truck mods or technical issues, you can email him at BossManonLandLineNow@ChromeShopMafia.com.
- Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the Petro in Laramie, Wyo. That’s at Exit 310 off Interstate 80. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- This week, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to take up the Cal Cartage v. California case. Read more about the case from Land Line Magazine.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.