Land Line Now, April 30, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Truckers tell OOIDA they’re worried about a potential mandate for speed limiters – and the Association is working to stop it from happening.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
Trade groups ask FMCSA to give fuel haulers hours of service waivers. A Texas bill to make it harder to win lawsuits against trucking companies advances. And the neighbor causing a stink in Michigan.
II. The Parking Zone
Parking – or more precisely, the lack of it – is one of the central issues in trucking today, affecting many other issues. That’s why Land Line Magazine keeps track of developments ranging from new lots to parking bans and more. We’ll have an update.
III. Speed limiters have truckers worried
Among the many issues truckers are concerned about right now, speed limiters rank high. Those who have pushed to require the devices in all trucks may make another run at it in the upcoming highway bill. But Marty Ellis says other issues are still making some waves as well.
IV. OOIDA: Keep speed limiters, under-21 drivers out of highway bill
All this week, we’ve been talking about issues covered in the last proposed highway that are likely to end up in this year’s proposed highway bill. However, some concerning issues for truckers were NOT in that version – including speed limiters and under-21 drivers – and OOIDA says it needs to stay that way.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The Florida DOT says they are on pace to re-open the Pensacola Bay Bridge by the end of May. You can find current detours on the Florida DOT website.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Angola, Ind. That’s at Exit 157 off Interstate 69. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- You can read Tyson Fisher’s latest online Parking Zone feature here.
- OOIDA is encouraging truckers to speak out against bill HR2687 which would significantly increase their insurance costs. Contact your members of Congress on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.