What freight markets will be busy this week for the upcoming Super Bowl and Valentine’s Day? We’ll take a look ahead with DAT after a not-so-great week. Also, an OOIDA member has once again claimed a Highway Angel award for stopping to help a fellow driver who crashed his truck. And some recent cargo theft incidents in Philadelphia have been making headlines. Aside from the obvious causes, should we be looking at whether a lack of available truck parking played a role?
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Get more information about MATS here. The show runs for three days starting March 21.
- If you’d like to nominate a trucker for the Truckload Carriers Association’s Highway Angel award, visit its website.
- Get more information about the freight market.
- Starting Friday, Feb. 9, Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the TA in Coachella, Calif. That’s located at Exit 146 on Interstate 10. Stop in and join OOIDA for a $10 discount.
- Whether for truck parking funding, stopping speed limiters or getting overtime pay for company drivers, get your lawmakers on board with a quick email sent from Fighting For Truckers.
- You can donate to the Truckers For Troops fund all year.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cell phone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Catch up on the news with Scott Thompson
Congress launches a challenge to Federal Highway Administration emission rules. NHTSA’s underride committee gets back to work tomorrow. And California launches a crackdown on crime – and cargo thieves are in the crosshairs.
Two-time Highway Angel helps out fellow trucker
An OOIDA member has once again claimed a Highway Angel award for stopping to help a fellow driver who crashed his truck. We speak with Tim Olden, who says he just did what truckers do when a driver is in need.
Are cargo thefts connected to lack of parking?
Some recent cargo theft incidents in Philadelphia have been making headlines. Tyson Fisher of Land Line Magazine says aside from the obvious causes, we should be looking at whether a lack of available truck parking played a role. That, plus a big chunk of federal money now going toward truck parking projects nationwide, and more in our latest installment of The Parking Zone.
What effect will Super Bowl, Valentine’s have on freight?
It’s not been a great week for the spot market, according to DAT. Load-to-truck ratios decreased for all three equipment types. We speak with DAT to find what’s to come and what freight markets will be busy this week for the upcoming Super Bowl and Valentine’s Day.