Land Line Now, Feb. 24, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A group representing road builders wants Congress to pass a truck-only tax to pay for highways, but the trucking industry is working to stop the plan.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Another trucking company goes out of business; UPS wants to allow CDL permit holders to operate twin 28-foot trailers; and the importance of making good choices when robbing a chicken joint – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. How to handle coercion
Coercion is a big issue in the trucking industry – despite a regulation from FMCSA banning the behavior. So what does a trucker do when faced with a carrier pushing them to drive when they know they shouldn’t? We’ll offer some advice.
III. The story behind the truck parking story
The national shortage of truck parking affects everyone. But progress is being made toward a better situation. We’ll discuss the story behind that and more from the current issue of Land Line Magazine.
IV. Truck-only tax effort draws fire
A group representing the people and companies who build roads has asked Congress to pass a truck-only tax to pay for highways. We’ll have the details of their plan, and of the battle by many in the trucking industry to stop it.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- As part of the Shift Into Success series, OOIDA will offer a class in developing a business plan from 3 to 4 p.m. Friday, March 27, in room B-104 at the MATS. The class is free and open to all truckers.
- Starting Tuesday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Hillsboro, Texas, Exit 370 on Interstate 35. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Assistance department does here.
- If you’re a trucker not receiving the magazine and you’d like to you can sign up here. It’s free!
- OOIDA issues Call to Action: OOIDA opposes truck-only tax effort.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.