Land Line Now, July 8, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Freight was down last week – but rates were up – thanks to the three-day holiday weekend, and the summer lull is here. Also, recovering downtime losses.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
A bill that would pump billions into highways moves forward; a Canadian province looks to provide free testing for truckers; And a 6-year-old girl goes fishing and comes back with the catch of the year – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Recovering downtime cash
When a crash takes you off the road, you stop making money. But there is a way to get some of that money back.
III. Freight slow, but at least it pays a bit more
To no one’s surprise, shipping was down last week thanks to the three-day holiday weekend. With the summer lull now in full swing, we’ll look at the latest trends.
IV. Spending, stimulus and small-business support
A transportation spending bill moves forward; another stimulus package gets some attention; and what’s happening with the Paycheck Protection Program.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- OOIDA’s TRACER system has issued an alert on a stolen 2000 Peterbilt 389. Find more information on the TRACER website or call 202-246-2698 if you have information.
- Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker have canceled the stop at the Steen Gronlund Petro in Laramie, Wyo., but you can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- For questions about recovering downtime, call Eckert and Associates at 800-369-6846, at 904-278-7688, or go to their website, downtimeclaims.com. You can also call OOIDA Business Services at 816-229-5791.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.