LLN (8/1/18) – Is it a driver shortage or turnover and retention problem? One expert offers her opinion. Also on today’s show: freight and rates continue to slip; diesel prices are on the rise after two weeks of declines; the Denham Amendment could still be play in the Senate; and Uber’s departure from the self-driving truck market.
0:00 – 10:10 – Newscast
10:10 – 24:52 – Turnover and Retention
24:52 – 40:11 – freight, rates slip; diesel prices ries
40:11 – 50:23 – Denham Amendment; Uber is out of self-driving trucks
Gary Walter Hills, Sr. of Monroe City, Mo., has been recognized by the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association for 27 years of safe, accident-free driving as part of the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
Lana Batts’ company provides background screenings to the trucking industry, and she has some pretty specific views of the turnover and driver retention problem in trucking. Mary McKenna has a report.
Freight and rates continue to slip, but still remain much higher than last year at this time. Terry Scruton talks with Mark Montague of DAT, a company that provides market information for owner operators, carriers, brokers and shippers.
- Visit their website, dat.com;
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417;
- Be sure to check out their blog;
- Chat with them on Twitter;
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website;
- You can call OOIDA Members Edge at 866-487-8253.
Diesel price averages went up less than a penny in nine of the 10 regions in the U.S. Terry Scruton offers a detailed update on the price of diesel fuel and crude oil, including a break down by region and analysis.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles;
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator;
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android Smartphones, click here.
A provision that could have a big impact on driver pay is still possible in the U.S. Senate. Mark Reddig covers that – plus Uber’s departure from the self-driving truck market – with Nile Elam of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.