The skipper of The Spirit heads home to Boise, Idaho
June 27, 2019
The TA Travel Center dedicated to OOIDA’s truck stop ambassador is going to be inspected by its namesake soon.
Jon Osburn, skipper of OOIDA’s touring tractor-trailer, the Spirit of the American Trucker, plans to return to the J.D. ‘Doc’ Osburn TA in Boise, Idaho, on the weekend of June 27-30.
The travel center is at Exit 54 off I-84.
The truck stop was dedicated to Jon when he was named a Citizen Driver in 2016. Boise is his hometown. The Citizen Driver award recognizes professional drivers who earn public respect for the trucking industry. Read more about the award rules and nominate someone here.
The Boise TA has 171 truck parking spots. It is right off Broadway Avenue, also U.S. 20. Broadway is a straight shot from the truck stop to downtown Boise.
Here are some things we all should know about Boise:
- Boise is Idaho’s state capital and home to Boise State University.
- The Boise-Nampa metropolitan area includes five counties. It is known as Treasure Valley. It has the state’s most populous cities, Boise, Nampa and Meridian.
- Sited in southwestern Idaho, Boise is 41 miles east of Oregon and 110 miles north of the Nevada border.
- The Boise River flows down from the Rockies through the city and joins the Snake River near the Idaho-Oregon border.
- Boise is the headquarters for wood products manufacturer Boise Cascade LLC, supermarket titan Albertsons, french fry king J.R. Simplot Co. and computer and semiconductor maker Micron Technology.
Jon’s state representative is Rep. Ilana Rubel, who has advocated on behalf of truck drivers who hauled loads of hemp or hemp plants on Idaho highways and face charges of drug trafficking.
After the weekend, Jon plans to head home, catch up on things there, and enjoy some home cooking.
Whenever you see The Spirit tour truck, go say hello to Jon. He enjoys visiting about the Association’s activities and current issues. You also can join or renew your OOIDA membership for $10 off the regular price there. Also, you can get vouchers for flu, shingles and pneumonia vaccines from Jon at The Spirit.