Land Line Now, Feb. 19, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Winter weather continues to affect truck stop services, but COVID-19 rules, expensive fuel and rate problems are also on truckers’ minds.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Winter weather leaves a mess in its wake. The FMCSA wants to put the brakes on a challenge to the HOS rules. And it’s time to play “Name that Snow Plow!”
II. Doc says prioritize truckers for vaccine
A one-time truck driver is using his new career to sound the alarm on behalf of his former colleagues. Dr. Michael Lemke of the University of Houston-Downtown explains why truckers should get higher priority for COVID-19 vaccinations, and how that could address long-standing injustices in the industry.
III. Winter weather plagues truckers
Needless to say, cold weather is on Jon Osburn’s mind as he visits Texas; but he’s also hearing about COVID restrictions, expensive fuel, problems with rates and more.
IV. Could California ABC test go national?
When California passed a law that some thought would force many owner-operators to become employees, many feared a federal effort to do the same. Now, those fears are becoming real.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- If you’d like to have a say in naming a snow plow for Minnesota’s DOT you can do that here.
- If a carrier, shipper, receiver or broker coerces you to violate the regulations, document the coercive act, then either call 888-368-7238 or file a complaint online to the National Consumer Complaint Database.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA in San Antonio, Texas. That’s at Exit 583 off Interstate 10. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- You can read OOIDA’s update on the PRO Act here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.