Land Line Now, Jan. 7, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The Department of Labor’s new rule defines who is an independent contractor. However, under a new administration, will the regulation stand?
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
U.S. DOT Secretary Elaine Chao is stepping down. Cross-border freight is on the rise. And llama drama in Massachusetts.
II. Independent contractor rule’s prospects under Biden
Earlier this week, the Department of Labor issued a final rule defining who is and is not an independent contractor. However, with a new administration about to take charge, will the regulation stand?
III. Michigan eyes public-private partnerships for bridges
Michigan may allow cities to use public-private partnerships to get needed bridge work done, while New Jersey looks at consolidating agencies such as its turnpike authority into its DOT.
IV. Where things stand in D.C.
It’s been an interesting week, to say the least, in our nation’s capital. However, the government has to function, and preparations to transition to a new administration have to take place. We’ll have an update.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The California Air Resources Board is hosting a free online webinar to provide information for truckers on Monday, Jan. 25. You can find more information and register for the event here.
- The Missouri DOT will be holding a virtual public meeting from 4 to 6 p.m. on Jan. 19 to discuss plans to rebuild the Big Bend Bridge on I-44 in St. Louis County. You can find more information here.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Sparks, Nev. That’s located at Exit 21 off Interstate 80. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- You can find OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues here.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.