Land Line Now, May 7, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Unified Carrier Registration has long outlived the reason it was created. So why do we still have it, outside of taking your money? But an alternative is available.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The Iowa 80 Group adds another vaccine clinic for drivers in Missouri. The economy added jobs in April, but the unemployment rate remained unchanged. And the embarrassing Zoom gaffe of the week award goes to…
II. Roses and Razzberries
From a truck stop working to ensure truckers can get a COVID vaccination to court that seems to lack a basic understanding of how trucking works, we’ll tell you who in recent news has been good and who’s been bad with some Roses and Razzberries.
III. Crazy stuff you hear on the road
These days, Marty Ellis hears a lot of stuff that seems crazy. Like forcing truckers to get unnecessary medical tests, or making it so their rigs’ brakes activate whether they want them to or not.
IV. UCR – it seems to exist only to take your money …
UCR has become something of a mystery to people who follow federal trucking policy. The reason for the tax no longer exists, and it seems to function as just another way to get money out of truckers. But an alternative is available.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The U.S. Department of Transportation – including the FMCSA – recently implemented its annual increase in fines for regulatory violations based on inflation. You can find the full list of violations and increases here.
- The Iowa 80 Truck Stop will offer its first COVID-19 vaccination clinic from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, May 10. Get the details here.
- The Oak Grove 70 Petro will have a walk-in, no appointment clinic from 1 p.m.to 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 20. That’s Exit 28 off I-70 in Oak Grove, Mo. Find more information here.
- Starting Saturday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Pembroke, N.Y. That’s at Exit 48A off Interstate 90. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- If you want to offer up your own Rose or Razzberry for our consideration, you can submit those here.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.