Land Line Now, Aug. 10, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Truckers who have been victims of a broker rip-off have few options – and those may depend on the broker-carrier agreement. We’ll discuss a real-world case.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
States continue to make changes as COVID conditions continue to shift; port workers go on strike in Montreal; and this time, it’s a “Jill” of all trades – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Broker rip-offs – few protections available
Broker-carrier agreements – and the exploitation of truckers by some brokers – is a constant in the trucking industry. And the agreement between the two is one of the few things that can offer truckers any protection. We’ll discuss a real-world case.
III. Bullish on the trucking economy
Things look bleak on the economic front, but at least one financial expert remains bullish on a rebound. We’ll talk with an expert about where things stand now – and why the trucking industry is a good indicator about where we’re headed.
IV. Road builders want to keep highway taxes
A coalition of road building interests has called on Congress to keep in place the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, which OOIDA and others asked to be suspended to help truckers through the current economic crisis, as well as other road taxes.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- US 1 Logistics is working with TruckParkingReservations.com to offer paid, overnight parking at its facilities in Nashville, Tenn.; Memphis, Tenn.; Louisville, Ky.; and Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the Petro in Portage, Wis., at Exit 108A on Interstates 90 and 94. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also has face masks if you’re in need.
- See what OOIDA’s Business Services Department offers here. You can call them at 816-229-5791.
- Find out more about Broughton Capital online.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.