LLN (6/13/19) – Truckers are still waiting for the updated hours of service. Also, FMCSA wants information about detention time. Later, FMCSA Administrator Ray Martinez will testify to Congress about the next highway bill. Meanwhile, an Illinois bill would double the fuel tax and eliminate a fee many truckers despise. We’ll have information on upcoming truck shows. And federal officials are moving forward toward officially sanctioned hair testing for drugs among truckers.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:42 – Hours of service delay; detention time; Martinez at Congress
24:42-39:40 – Illinois fuel tax; truck shows
39:40-49:24 – Hair testing for drugs
- If a carrier, shipper, receiver or broker coerces you to violate the regulations, document the coercive act, then either call 888-DOT-SAFT or file a complaint online to the National Consumer Complaint Database.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Carol Wolder-Nixon TA in Seattle East, Wash. That’s located at Exit 34 on Interstate 90. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
- A reminder that you can use paper logs for up to eight days while you’re having issues with your device. But after that, you need to request an extension. To request an extension, send a message via email to ELD-Extension@dot.gov.
Truckers are still waiting for the updated Hours of Service. Terry Scruton discusses what the holdup is – along with an information request about detention time and congressional testimony next week by FMCSA Administrator Ray Martinez – with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- Read more on hours of service: FMCSA’s hours-of-service proposal misses June 7 target date.
- Learn about the detention time information request: FMCSA seeks input about truck drivers’ detention time.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- If you have questions you would like answered you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
An Illinois bill would double the fuel tax and eliminate a fee that many truckers despise. Mary McKenna gets an update from our state legislative expert Keith Goble.
- Read more about the bill here: Illinois doubles fuel tax rates, nixes despised truck fee.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit the OOIDA Legislative page.
- Mary and Mark Reddig offer information on upcoming truck shows on the Land Line Now Industry Calendar. (See complete listing of truck shows below.)
Federal officials are moving forward with a process that could eventually lead to official hair testing for drugs among truckers. Mark Reddig finds out the particulars from OOIDA Director of Safety and Security Operations Doug Morris.
- Read more: HHS sends hair testing for drugs guidelines to White House for review.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- 14-15 Oak Grove Truckers Jamboree at the Oak Grove 70 Petro in Oak Grove, Mo. For more information, go to OakGrovePetro.com.
- 15-16 Ohio Vintage Truck Jamboree in Ashland, Ohio. Go to ohvintrkjam.com for information.
- 21-23 Great Lakes Truck Show, Cabela’s in Dundee, Mich. For more information, visit GreatLakesTruckShow.org.
- 29 – Belvidere Heritage Days truck show, Belvidere, Ill. For more information, visit facebook.com/belvidereheritagedays/.
- 11-13 40th anniversary Walcott Truckers Jamboree, Iowa 80 Truckstop, Walcott, Iowa. For more information, visit Iowa80TruckStop.com.
- 19-20 Gulf Coast Big Rig Truck Show, Mississippi Coast Convention Center, Biloxi, Miss. For more information, visit GulfCoastBigRigTruckShow.com.
- 19-20 Expedite Expo at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Ind. For more information, visit ExpediteExpo.com or Facebook.com/expediteexpo/.
- 25-27 Shell Rotella SuperRigs at Trail’s Travel Center, off I-35 in Albert Lea, Minn. For more information, visit Rotella.com.
- 26-28 Top Gun Large Car Shoot Out at Rantoul National Aviation Center, Rantoul, Ill. For more information: TopGunLargeCarShootout.com.
- 27 – 20th annual Semi Truck Pull and Pride/Polish at Broome County Fair Ground, Whitney Point, N.Y. Gates open 7:30 a.m., free registration 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. or call 570-649-5008 or 570-394-3805. Three classes. Semi truck pull starts at about 1 p.m.
- 2-4 Carlisle Truck Nationals Carlisle, Pa., Fairgrounds. Details can be found at CarlisleEvents.com.
- 2-4 Shiawassee County Fair Truck Show at the Shiawassee Fairgrounds, Corunna, Mich. For more information, visit Facebook.com/ShiawasseeTruckShow.
- 8-11National Brockway Truck Show at the CNY Living History Center and Brockway Truck Museum in Cortland, N.Y. For more information, visit BrockwayTrucks.org.
- 9-10 Waupun Truck-N-Show in Waupun, Wis. For more information, visit WapunTruckShow.com, call 920-324-9985 or find the show on Facebook.
- 9-11 Buckeye Invitational Truck Show at the Clark County Fairgrounds in Springfield, Ohio. Includes the Jim Johnston OOIDA Memorial Convoy benefiting Truckersfinalmile.org. For more information, visit BuckeyeInvitationalTruckShow.com.
- 16-18 Eau Claire Big Rig Truck Show at the Northern Wisconsin State Fair Grounds, Chippewa Falls, Wis. For more information, visit EauClaireBigRigTruckShow.com.
- 22-24 20th anniversary Great American Trucking Show, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, Dallas. For more information, visit TruckShow.com.
- 6-7 Big Iron Classic Truck Show and Charity Drive at the Dodge County Fairgrounds in Kasson, Minn. For more information, visit BigIronClassic.com.
- 7 Truck Convoy for Special Olympics, Rosenau Terminal in Rocky View, Alberta. For more information, visit https://www.specialolympics.ca/alberta-letr/events/sat-09072019-0800/truck-convoy-2019
- 13-15 Richard Crane Memorial Truck Show in St. Ignace, Mich. For more info, visit StIgnace.com/carshows.
- 12-13 California Trucking Show, Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, Calif. For more information, visit CaliforniaTruckingShow.com or call 877-281-7758.
- 18-19 Grease, Steam and Rust Association Truck Show at the Fulton County Fairgrounds in McConnellsburg, Pa. For more information, visit gsandr.com.
- 28-31 North American Commercial Vehicle Show in the Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta. For more information, visit nacvshow.com.
- 5-8 Specialty Equipment Market Association Show, Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas. For more information, visit SEMA.org.