Land Line Now, Feb. 17, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A Land Line Now encore presentation: The story of a Navy vessel that played a key role the day South Vietnam fell, told through the eyes of two truckers.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
You can pay your UCR now; the president unveils his budget for fiscal year 2021; and when you’re selling cookies, you go where the demand is – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Truckers witness the fall of South Vietnam
An encore of the story of a Navy vessel that played a key role the day Saigon, South Vietnam, fell, finally ending near 30 years of US involvement in that nation, and causing thousands of refugees to flee for safer shores.
III. Vietnam and the USS Kirk – Part II
We continue the story of the USS Kirk as told through the eyes of a trucker who served as a gunner on the ship, a trucker who was in Saigon at the end, and the ship’s official historian, who was also on board that day.
IV. Truckers caught in the middle
Recently, we reported on the battle heating up between the Trump administration and New York that has led to a ban on the state’s residents enrolling in Federal Trusted Traveler Programs – something that could affect large numbers of truckers who work cross border in the region.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Are you a Life Member of OOIDA? Do you love your Land Line Magazine? Then we need to hear from you.
- OOIDA is soliciting personal letters or hand-made cards from children to be sent to our troops overseas. You can mail them to us at OOIDA Truckers for Troops, c/o Norita Taylor, PO Box 1000, Grain Valley, MO, 64029.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Henry Albert TA truck stop in Laredo, Texas. That’s located at Exit 13 on Interstate 35. Stop in, say hi to Jon and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Learn more about the USS Kirk Association, the ship and the effort to save it at the Kirk Association website; you can also donate to the effort through the “Save the Kirk – ‘The Journey Home’”
- You can watch a documentary about the Kirk titled “The Lucky Few” online.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.