LLN (11/7/18) –It’s Day 3 of the 2018 OOIDA Truckers for Troops Telethon, our fund-raising effort to send care packages to troops overseas and help veterans here at home. We’ll have stories about a Navy vet who tells us why it’s important to support our troops now. Thank-you letters from troops who received care packages, And a Vietnam Veteran turned attorney who founded Heart of America Stand Down.
- It’s day 3 of the OOIDA Truckers for Troops Telethon. During business hours or during our early broadcast, call 800-444-5791, and ask for membership.
- After 7:30 p.m. central time, call that same number, 800-444-5791. If you get our automated system, press 1; leave your name and phone number, and we’ll call you back.
- Take part by sending your dues and donation to OOIDA Truckers for Troops, PO Box 1000, Grain Valley, MO, 64029; be sure to mark your check “Troops, dues and donation,” or “Troops, donation only”.
- Or sign up or renew online – just put the word “troops” in the space for promo code.
- Daimler Trucks North America is recalling certain 2017 to 2018 Freightliner Cascadias. The recall deals with the brake lights which may stay lit after the brake pedal is released. The corrective action on this is still under development but Daimler expects the recall to start Dec. 17. Owners may contact Daimler Trucks customer service at 800 547-0712. The Daimler recall number is FL-799.
Bob Esler remembers what it’s like to serve our country far from home. The OOIDA board member and Navy veteran talks with Terry Scruton about the support he got back then, why it’s important to support now and the relationship between truckers and the military.
- If you have family or close friends serving in the military in Afghanistan or other combat zones, we want to hear from you with addresses so they can benefit from the Truckers for Troops program.
- Please phone in their names and complete addresses to Nikki Johnson at 816-229-5791.
- Or email to either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Related coverage:
Every year, we receive thank-you letters from some of the troops who receive care packages paid for by your donations. And every year, during the Truckers for Troops telethon, we like to share some of those with you.
- We’re soliciting hand-made cards and letters from kids, as well as personal thank-you letters to the troops from truckers and others. All those letters will be included in the care packages sent by OOIDA. They can be sent to Norita Taylor at: OOIDA Truckers for Troops, PO Box 1000, Grain Valley, MO, 64029, c/o Norita Taylor. Or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Vietnam Veteran turned attorney, Art Fillmore founded Heart of America Stand Down. Mary McKenna talks with him about the organization’s mission and how important human connection is to homeless veterans living in Kansas City.
- You can learn more at the OOIDA Foundation website.
- You can visit the Trucker for Troops Facebook page.
- Read the latest by Land Line Magazine: OOIDA’s Truckers for Troops campaign kicks off Monday, Nov. 5.