Land Line Now, Aug. 21, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Three truckers have stepped up to help children – including supporting the Make-a-Wish Foundation and juvenile diabetes research, and fighting child abuse.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Fires are causing trouble in several western states; police are investigating the death of a trucker in Alabama; and the Nebraska State Police get “tanked.”
II. Truckers helping children – three stories
Like so many others in the industry, three truckers are doing all they can to lend a helping hand to children. One fulfilled a promise using his checkbook, another started a nonprofit, and a third – after raising millions for children over the years – is stepping away.
III. Truckers tired of the pandemic
Jon Osburn says that like many other Americans, truckers are concerned about the pandemic. They’re tired of wearing masks, and they’re not exactly happy that the way things are now could be “the new normal.”
IV. FMCSA grants for truck safety
The FMCSA recently announced it is giving out tens of millions of dollars in grants with a goal of improving motor carrier safety. We’ll explain where the money is going.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- If you’re headed to the Glenwood Canyon area in Colorado, you can find the latest road closure information due to the Grizzly Creek Fire.
- For the latest information on any wildfires in California, check out Cal Fire’s web page at fire.ca.gov.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Saturday, Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the Petro in Fargo, N.D., at Exit 348 off Interstate 94. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon has free face masks as well as pneumonia and shingles vaccine vouchers.
- You can find more information about All Truckers Together against Child Abuse here. You can also call or text the National Child Abuse Hotline at 800-422-4453.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.