Land Line Now, Aug. 27, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A new song inspired by a trucker involves terminal cancer, a Facebook post, and a lasting tribute the driver’s widow will never forget.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
Expect travel problems throughout the South this weekend. Used truck market remains hot. And the reason you might see more people giving you the “truckers salute” next month.
II. Trucker’s life inspires new song
A song inspired by a truck driver is out right now – and that would be a story in and of itself. But this one involves an OOIDA member, terminal cancer, a Facebook post, a surprise gone wrong and a lasting tribute that the driver’s widow will never forget.
III. Lease-purchase plans spark anger and questions
While Marty Ellis is enjoying some fine baked goods in Wisconsin, some truckers he’s talking with are getting really heated over carrier-based lease-purchase plans.
IV. A complicated court case that fixes precisely nothing
On the surface, a recent court judgement might appear to support raising insurance minimums. But go just an inch deep into it, and it’s an obvious example both of why that idea won’t fix anything, and the extent to which verdicts are out of control.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cell phone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The North Dakota Emergency Commission has signed off on $2.5 million for the Emergency Feed Transportation Assistance Program. Email email@example.com for more information about the program.
- If a carrier, shipper, receiver or broker coerces you to violate the regulations, document the coercive act, call 888-368-7238 or file a complaint online to the National Consumer Complaint Database.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Clearwater, Minn. That’s located at Exit 178 off Interstate 94. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Find all the details about the Joe Stamm Band’s album and touring dates on their website. And you can watch their Pocketful of Quarters video on YouTube.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.