Land Line Now, June 15, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Some U.S. House members defended truckers during a recent highway bill hearing; but Connecticut’s governor clearly has them in his sights.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Fuel prices rise to their highest level in almost 3 years. A recall is issued on certain CPAP machines. And a neighbor with a torch finally gets Frankenstein’s monster
II. Some in House stand up for truckers
Last week the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee passed a highway bill that contained a lot of bad news for truckers – especially when it comes to insurance premiums. In spite of that, several members of the committee stood up in defense of truckers and all they have done over the past year.
III. Truckers: employees or contractors
Marty Ellis is hearing about carriers trying to turn employees into contractors and others who want to install some ineffective “drowsy driver” in their trucks and more. Also, a version of the highway bill that is far more favorable to truckers is about to be voted on in the U.S. Senate. OOIDA has issued a national Call to Action.
IV. Connecticut’s governor targets truckers again
Connecticut’s governor, fresh off saddling truckers with a massive weight distance tax, is now preparing to hit them with climate plan that could spike fuel prices, while Pennsylvania lawmakers are trying to push more money into roads.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Philips has issued a recall for certain CPAP and Bi-Level PAP machines due to a risk involving the type of foam used in the machines. Find more information and a list of affected devices here.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Dodge City, Ala. That’s at Exit 299 off Interstate 65. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- OOIDA has issued a Call to Action: Senate committee schedules their Highway Bill markup.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.