LLN (6/11/19) – Truckers could face hefty fines if they don’t comply with a quarantine restricting the spread of an invasive pest. An Ontario-based cross-border trucking company is closing. We’ll find out why. Plus, new laws in Texas go into effect in September allowing local law enforcement across the state to ticket trucks. And we’ll have an update on scheduled testimony from OOIDA President Todd Spencer on the state of trucking.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:42 – Truckers face hefty fines for not complying with quarantine. Details on closing cross border Canadian trucking company.
24:42-39:40 – Local law enforcement to ramp up across the state of Texas.
39:40-49:25 – Preview on OOIDA’s State of Trucking testimony.
- The national average price of diesel dropped for the third week in a row this week. The Energy Information Administration reports the average for the week ending June 10 at $3.10 a gallon, down 3 cents from the previous week.
- Read more here: Diesel prices dip for third week in a row.
Truckers have been asked to keep an eye out for the invasive Spotted Lantern Fly. Mark Reddig talks with Fred Strathmeyer, with Pennsylvania’s Department of Agriculture. Is the quarantine effective?
- Read more here, Truckers who don’t comply with spotted lanternfly quarantine could face hefty fines.
Mark also speaks with Brent Neil, vice president of TFI International about the closure of TFI’s Ontario-based Highland Transport division.
Land Line Magazine’s State Legislative Editor, Keith Goble and Mary McKenna will discuss new Texas laws that will ramp up local law enforcement across the state starting in September.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, New Texas laws widen truck enforcement efforts.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit the OOIDA Legislative web page.
Plus Mark joins Mary with important information on this week’s bulletin board.
Collin Long with OOIDA’s Washington D.C. Office will have details on OOIDA’s President and CEO Todd Spencer’s scheduled testimony before the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on Wednesday.
- Read more here: OOIDA’s Spencer to inform lawmakers at House hearing about challenges truckers face.
- Todd will address these and other pressing topics in his opening statement. You can read his full testimony here.
- Click here for more information and to watch the hearing on June 12.
- Stay informed on other current issues at fightingfortruckers.com.