LLN (6/24/19) – Truckers may not be aware that they face a higher risk for aggressive prostate cancer. Also, with the feds failing to act, states are stepping up to fund infrastructure. Meanwhile, some truckers go a bit too far in trying to prevent a brake-related out-of-service order. Can you go after a shipper if your broker doesn’t pay? And more progress is being made to protect truckers from dishonest towing operations.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:42 – Risk of prostate cancer; Brake adjustment
24:42-39:40 – States and infrastructure; if the broker doesn’t pay
39:40-49:25 – Update on law-enforcement-ordered towing
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA in Troutdale, Ore. That’s located at Exit 17 on Interstate 84. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
- OOIDA is kicking off a new educational series titled “Shift Into Success” at the 2019 Great American Truck Show. The first class, covering the cost of operations, takes place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 22 in room C147 at the Great America Trucking Show in Dallas. It’s free, and you don’t have to be an OOIDA member. For more information, call the OOIDA Foundation at 816-229-5791. You can also read more here: OOIDA to launch Shift Into Success business series at GATS.
Truckers face a number of health problems linked to their profession. But one they may not have been aware of is a higher risk for aggressive prostate cancer. Mark Reddig finds out how great the concern is, and what you can do, from Dr. Joseph Su of the University of Arkansas.
- You can find more information here.
During various safety blitzes, brake problems are always among the most frequent violations. However, in trying to prevent an out-of-service order, some truckers go a bit too far. Mark Reddig talks with Kevin Lindsey and Jerry Bodkins, the maintenance experts at TA Petro Truck Stops.
- You can find more on truck repair and maintenance from TA Petro, here.
- If you have questions for Kevin and Jerry, email them at AskTATruckService@ta-petro.com.
With the feds failing to act, states are stepping up to fund infrastructure. Mary McKenna gets a look at that and other items from the most recent issue of Land Line Magazine from Jami Jones, Greg Grisolano and Mark Schremmer of the magazine staff.
- If you’re a trucker not receiving the magazine and you’d like to you can sign up here. It’s free!
- You can also subscribe to the Land Line News Nightcap.
- Check out Land Line Magazine online.
If you’ve encountered a bad broker, your first priority is ensuring you get paid. Mark Reddig gets some advice on that and other broker-related issues from Adam Kleinschmidt of OOIDA’s Business Services Department.
- Be sure to check out OOIDA Compliance Connection online.
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Assistance department does, here.
- And you can contact them at 816-229-5791.
More progress is being made to protect truckers from dishonest towing operations. Mark Reddig gets an update from OOIDA Manager of Government Affairs Mike Matousek.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Learn more about state towing issues here: