Land Line Now, March 5, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Where does the truck parking crisis stand on the 12th anniversary of Jason Rivenburg’s murder? We’ll have an update on efforts to fix it.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA opposes a new push for a speed limiter mandate. Two U.S. Senators have reintroduced an underride guard bill. And how not to move a house.
II. Roses and Razzberries
From a governor who treats trucks like rolling piggy banks to a trucker who stepped up to help others during an icy pileup, we’ll tell you who in recent news has been good and who’s been bad with some Roses and Razzberries.
III. Trucker talk in Texas
Jon Osburn still hasn’t found that yellow rose, but he’s soon heading out of Texas and into Cajun country. And like the food there, the issues on truckers’ minds are pretty hot – including fuel prices, rates and getting the COVID-19 vaccine.
IV. Truck parking crisis – an update
Today is the anniversary of Jason Rivenburg’s murder during a robbery – due in part to the lack of safe available parking where he was. The tragedy helped spark the national movement to fix the truck parking crisis. So where does the effort stand? We’ll have an update.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The Texas DOT is seeking public input on a project that would spend $400 million on improvements to I-35W in north Fort Worth. The comment period closes March 8. You can submit those here.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA in Terrell, Texas. That’s at Exit 503 off Interstate 20. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- If you want to offer up your own Rose or Razzberry for our consideration, you can submit those here.
- You can read a summary on FHWA’s update to Jason’s Law here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.