Land Line Now, March 29, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A new Congress means a new push to pave more truck parking spaces. We’ll report on a bill now in Congress and who’s behind the effort.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The truck parking bill is back in Congress. The DOT is saying N-O to VMT. And a lesson in the importance of good spelling.
II. Study could lead to more drug testing
The Government Accountability Office, an internal watchdog agency, has issued a study about drug and alcohol testing data. And while that may sound technical and bureaucratic, truckers could be affected by any action taken as a result. Meanwhile, the OOIDA Foundation releases a new free online class on authority and a survey on COVID-19 vaccines.
III. A little advice from the experts
We all need a little advice from time to time, and Land Line Magazine is happy to give it. The March/April issue is full of wisdom and guidance. We’ll go over the regular advice columns that answer your questions on important trucking topics.
IV. Truck parking – the push is on
Late last week, a new version of the bill to expand truck parking nationwide was introduced into the new session of Congress. We’ll rate the bill’s chances and discuss proposed highway bill provisions to fund more enforcement and more tolling.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Tuesday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Petro in New Paris, Ohio. That’s at Exit 156B off Interstate 70. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- You can read the GAO study on drug testing here.
- Find the “Getting Your own Authority” series of classes from the OOIDA Foundation, on their online education page – classes 105-112. You can also go to the OOIDA Business Education YouTube channel.
- If you’re a trucker not receiving Land Line Magazine and you’d like to, you can sign up here. It’s free!
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.