Land Line Now, Nov. 17, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Cities are finally realizing truck parking is a crisis, and their role in fixing it. Two OOIDA Board members share what they told them.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
A House T&I committee hearing on the supply chain crisis hones in on the problem of detention times. Opponents of the large employer vaccine mandate may have caught a break as a court is picked to hear arguments. And the long snapper-turned-mechanic who got his team back on the road to victory.
II. Buying used? Here’s some advice
How can you tell if a used truck you’re considering buying is a gem and not a lemon? One way is through a 3rd party inspection. Buying used expert Greg Frary of Truck Tractor Trailer explains what that is and why it’s important.
III. Holidays and freight
The holidays are coming up quick, which means turkeys and trees are at front of mind for many Americans. Stephen Petit of DAT offers a look at what that means for truckers this year – before getting into the latest numbers and trends on the spot market.
IV. OOIDA Board members wake cities up to truck parking crisis
Cities are finally waking up and realizing that truck parking has become a crisis, and that they have to play a role in fixing it. And the National League of Cities has played a leadership role in that effort. Recently, two members of the OOIDA Board of Directors spoke to the group about what’s needed.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- House Transportation & Infrastructure committee holds hearing on supply chain. Read more here.
- The Tennessee DOT is asking for feedback about possibly converting high occupancy vehicle, or HOV lanes, to tolling lanes. The survey is open until Dec. 1. You can take part here.
- If a carrier, shipper, receiver or broker coerces you to violate regulations, document the coercive act and call 888-368-7238 or file a complaint online to the National Consumer Complaint Database.
- Starting Thursday, Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the Bob and Linda Caffee Petro in North Las Vegas, Nev. That’s at Exit 54 off Interstate 40. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- To learn more about buying used visit the TruckTractorTrailer website. You can also email questions here.
- The OOIDA Foundation offers several free, online classes. You can find them on OOIDA’s online education page.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- OOIDA board members give some city leaders a lesson on truck parking. Read about that here.