Land Line Now, May 26, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Truck parking remains a national crisis, but some outside trucking are trying to help fix it – including the National League of Cities.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA says a truck-only VMT tax would be bad for everyone. A speed limiter bill returns in Congress. And a trucking Toy Story.
II. Cities group promotes truck parking
Truck parking continues to be a national crisis for the industry. But solutions are possible, and some are trying to do their part to be part of those solutions – among them, the National League of Cities.
III. Freight this week: all carrot, no stick
The word of the week is: carrots. We’ll explain why it’s about to be a busy time for carrot shipments out of California.
IV. OOIDA and ATA: Truck-only VMT a non-starter
Recently, a prominent U.S. senator suggested trying to balance the highway trust fund on the backs of truckers. And the reaction was predictable. Now, OOIDA and the ATA have joined to urge the plan be dropped from consideration.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- To communicate specific areas with a need for more truck parking, or specific features you’d like to see in truck parking areas, email Advocacy@NLC.org.
- You can contact OOIDA about specific problems at Questions@OOIDA.com.
- Read the latest Parking Zone, or listen to our last episode on air here: Truck parking: A city doesn’t get it; states that do.
- You can also read the National League of Cities article on truck parking: Have Excess Parking? Consider Truck Parking Partnerships.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Baltimore South TA in Jessup, Md. That’s at Exit 41A off Interstate 95. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791.